|Watch Hill Responds to Structure Fire|
|By Chief Robert Peacock|
|July 10, 2018|
The Watch Hill Fire Department responded to 20 Foster Cove Road at 9:16 PM on Saturday night for a report of a structure fire. Firefighters arrived within three minutes to find a fire in the kitchen which involved the stove and the upper cabinets as well as fire extension into the attic. The fire was fully extinguished within ten minutes and the smoke was ventilated from the home.
Watch Hill Fire responded with ten firefighters staffing two pumpers and a ladder truck. Mutual aid was initially requested including a pumper from Misquamicut and a pumper and a ladder from Westerly. Westerly Ambulance was also requested to the scene as a precaution.
The occupants were not injured and will be able to remain in the home while repairs are made. The fire was determined to be the result of popcorn oil being heated on the stove which flashed and ignited the walls and the cabinets above the stove before spreading into the attic.
This was the third grease or oil based cooking fire that Watch Hill Fire responded to on Saturday. Fortunately, the others were confined to the cooking containers and only resulted in light smoke throughout the homes.
Watch Hill Firefighters would like to take this opportunity to review several important safety tips regarding cooking safety.
The National Fire Protection Association recommends the following safety tips: “Keep an eye on what you fry and stand by your pan”. Always monitor the stove while cooking and remember to heat the oil slowly to the temperature required before adding food gently so the oil does not splatter. Always cook with a lid beside your pan. If you have a fire, slide the lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Do not remove the cover because the fire could start again. Let the pan cool for a long time. Never use water on an oil fire. Most importantly, if you have a fire, evacuate the house and close the door behind you to help contain the fire. Call 9-1-1 immediately, preferably from outside after you leave. If you do try to fight the fire, be sure others are safely getting out and be sure you have a clear way out in case your cannot get the fire out.
|Units:||Engine 102, Engine 103, Ladder 104, Engine 202 of Misquamicut Fire, and Ladder 1 and Engine 2 of Westerly Fire|
|Hyperlinks:||Westerly Sun Article